lunes, 27 de julio de 2026

Announcing Poets Aloud with Frank Baez, Scott P. Cunningham, and Sony Ton-Aime




Dear Friends,

In 2014, I attended a bilingual poetry reading given by Frank Báez, from the Dominican Republic, and Scott P. Cunningham, from Miami, at Kent State University's Wick Poetry Center. I was mesmerized. 

After the reading, I went to them and told them that not only did I want to be their friend, which we have been since, but I wanted to read with them one day. It has taken twelve years for all of us to have new books out to make it happen. 

I could not be prouder to announce that on October 15th, all three of us will read poems by one another in our mother tongues; English, Haitian Creole, and Spanish. It will be a celebration of poetry and language like you have never seen.

Join us! It's free!

Sony Ton-Aime
Executive Director
SAVE YOUR SEAT
A Celebration of International Poetry
Thursday, October 15, 2026 at 7 p.m.
Doors open at 6:15 p.m.
Carnegie Library Lecture Hall
Registration is free.

This lecture will be recorded and available
to view on our YouTube channel at a later date.

 
SAVE YOUR SEAT
P. Scott Cunningham is the author of Self-Portrait as the “i” in Florida (Autumn House, 2026), winner of the 2025 Donald Justice Poetry Prize, and Ya Te Veo (University of Arkansas, 2018), selected for the Miller Williams Poetry Series and a finalist for the National Poetry Series. His poems, essays, and translations have appeared in The Nation, American Poetry Review, Gulf Coast, POETRY, A Public Space, Harvard Review, Michigan Quarterly Review, Monocle, and The Guardian, among others. Born and raised in South Florida, he lives with his family in Illinois.

Born in 1978 in Santo Domingo, Frank Báez has made a name for himself as one of the Dominican Republic’s most relevant poets and nonfiction writers. He has published six poetry books, a short story collection, and four nonfiction books. He is a founding member of El Hombrecito, the first Dominican Spoken Word band, which has three albums to its credit. His work has appeared in numerous anthologies, and translations of his books of poetry have been published in Arabic, Dutch, German, and Bangla. Two of his books have been translated into English: Last Night I Dreamt I Was a DJ (2014) and The End of the World Came to My Neighborhood (2022).

Sony Ton-Aime is the Executive Director of Pittsburgh Arts & Lectures and the author of Konbit (Carnegie Mellon University Press, 2026).
Books will be available for sale from our local bookseller White Whale Bookstore.
Poets Aloud is presented in partnership with 
Facebook
YouTube
Instagram
Website
Copyright © 2026 Pittsburgh Arts & Lectures, All rights reserved.
You opted in to marketing emails through our website sign up or through an online ticket purchase.

Our mailing address is:
Pittsburgh Arts & Lectures
301 S Craig St Ste 200
Pittsburgh, PA 15213-3738

Add us to your address book



No hay comentarios.:

Publicar un comentario